Nutrition Tips for Marathon Runners
Marathon Race Week
FOR FIRST TIME RUNNERS
- Drink 2L of water every day.
- Eat 3 well-balanced, nutrient-rich meals every day.
- Eat 3 servings of both fruits & dairy per day.
- Hydrate with water during & after training.
- Eat your main meal within 60mn of finishing your training.
FOR EXPERIENCED RUNNERS
- Drink 2.5-3L of Water every day.
- Eat 3 well-balanced, nutrient-rich meals every day and 3-5 small snacks per day.
- Eat a carbohydrate and protein snack within 30mn of training.
- Re-Hydrate after training with water and electrolytes.
- Eat your main meal within 60-120mn of finishing your training.
BEFORE THE RUN
2h before: Drink 1 glass of water and Aim for a full healthy breakfast low in fat, and high in complex carbohydrates to boost your energy without upsetting your stomach.
1h before: Drink 1 glass of water
AFTER THE RUN:
Whithin 10mn: Drink a bottle of electrolytes & Eat a serving of fruit
Within 20mn: Drink more water and eat a protein-rich snack to help recover muscle tissues.
Within 60-90mn: Drink more water, eat a full healthy meal rich in proteins, fresh veggies, fruits and carbohydrates to replenish your energy stores.