Healthy Eating Tips for the Holidays Season!
Holidays are a special time of year and like many customs and traditions, the celebrations center on enjoying food and drinks with friends and family. However, this may be a bit of concern from a health and fitness perspective..While it is important to enjoy food in holidays, try not to over do it!
How to Avoid Over-Indulging?
Starving yourself before parties & dinners is “Not a Good Idea”.
Here is some healthy eating over the festive season:
- Start the day with a light breakfast such as fresh fruit.
- Stay away from ‘all you can eat’ buffets, as extra food is hardly necessary during the holiday season! Eat only until you feel full, even if there is plenty of additional food on the table.
- Spread the main meal throughout the day rather than eating all courses at one sitting.
- Leave the table feeling you have room for a little more rather than stuffed to the gills.
- Minimize high-calorie snacks or meals.
- Make sure to fit in some exercise. Go for a refreshing walk instead of snoozing in the armchair sipping alcohol.
What About Alcohol?
Alcohol is in abundance during special events. Don’t forget it can contribute greatly to calorie intake as well as give you an appetite to eat more.Recommendations for alcohol intake are 2 glasses for men and 1 glass for women daily.. The limits do not change during the festive season. Make sure you are drinking sensibly all year round!
*Remember that drinks served at home tend to be larger measures than in pubs or restaurants so you will need to be extra careful!
If you consistently incorporate several of these survival steps into your holiday lifestyle, you may find yourself in better shape for the New Year than you were any period before!